- Wednesday, May. 17, 2017
SHOOT Magazine, the leading publication for commercial and entertainment motion picture production, today announced the panels and speakers for the SHOOT 2017 DIRECTORS/PRODUCERS Forum. The Forum will take place at the DGA Theatre on Thursday, May 25, 2017 from 1:30-5:00PM ET. The SHOOT 2017 15th Annual New Directors Showcase will immediately follow the Forum from 5:30-9:30PM ET.
Sponsors for this year's annual event include: Company 3, Madison + Vine, Directors Guild of America (DGA), Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz (FKKS), brother, CoMPANY Films, Montana Film Office, YouTube Red and MediaVision.
Register today to join SHOOT and our 2017 Event Sponsors for an informative and entertaining afternoon at the SHOOT Directors/Producers Forum followed by a fun-filled evening including the debut screening of SHOOT's 15th Annual New Directors Showcase reel, Meet the New Directors panel and after-party.
A Unique Event That Is Always Interesting, Informative and Entertaining, Join Us From 1:30-9:30PM ET
Make your business calls in the morning, then unplug and spend the afternoon and evening listening to a cross-section of speakers who are commercial & entertainment production executives, leading directors and up-and-coming directors. Creative and Production executives from Agencies, Brands, Production and Post companies, Movie Studios, TV, Cable and Online Networks are welcome to attend at no charge as are directors, cinematographers, editors and other production/post industry artisans. The daytime Forum will include several provocative & entertaining panels and speakers providing insights into where our industry is headed creatively and from a business standpoint. Gain perspectives on and visions of what's in store so that you and your company can stay ahead of the curve, continuing to be relevant in an evolving marketplace. During the evening New Directors Showcase agenda, you'll get a look-see at and meet some of the best up-and-coming directors who based on their initial work show promise to make positive contributions to advertising and/or entertainment in its traditional and hybrid forms. Having your finger on the talent pulse of the business is a perennial must to stay plugged into the present and future of our industry. Following the Showcase Screening, we'll hear from several of them about work to date and plans for gaining exposure in the marketplace --along with critiques/observations from several industry pros. And, the after-party affords attendees the opportunity to meet many of the new directors, mingle with industry friends and meet potential collaborators and clients.
Here's a look at the Afternoon & Evening Agendas...
1:30-1:50PM Attendees check in: be sure to arrive early, we will start on time & you won’t want to miss the first session!
1:55PM SHOOT Welcome Remarks
2:00-2:30PM Documentary Storytelling: A conversation on YouTube Red's This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous
Depicting one of today's most relevant social issues through raw documentarian storytelling, transgender YouTuber Gigi Gorgeous opened up about her life's journey in YouTube Red's This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous, directed by two time Oscar awarding winning director Barbara Kopple. With the global reach of YouTube, the panelists will talk through the production of the documentary, as well as the importance of telling Gigi's story to a diversity of cultures and people, educating viewers among all, of the power of love and family. This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous portrays the intimate journey of Gigi Lazzarato, a fearless young woman who began life as Gregory Lazzarato, posting beauty and fashion videos to YouTube from his bedroom, who came out as a transgender female to an audience of millions. The film provides a revealing look into a life that never compromises happiness, and spotlights a family’s unconditional love for a child. Attendees will also learn more about YouTube Red's original series, movies and documentaries from storytellers across the globe and the opportunities that exist for directors and production companies to work with them.
Watch the film's trailer
- Director Barbara Kopple is a two-time Best Feature Documentary Oscar winner--for “Harlan County U.S.A.” in 1977 and “American Dream” in 1991. She’s a three-time Emmy nominee for her documentary work. And Kopple has won three DGA Awards--two for documentaries, “American Dream,” and then for “Fallen Champ: The Untold Story of Mike Tyson.” Her third DGA Award came for an episode of the primetime dramatic TV series “Homicide: Life on the Street.” Kopple continues to add to her accomplished filmography with such recent endeavors as the lauded documentary “Miss Sharon Jones,” which tracked the outgoing, inspirational soul singer during the most challenging year of her life, battling cancer. Now Kopple is breaking new ground with “This Is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous,” a documentary which tells the story of Gigi Lazzarato, who began life as Gregory Lazzarato and posted beauty and fashion videos to YouTube before coming out as a transgender female to an audience of millions. Back in January, “This Is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous” became the first YouTube Red original film to debut at the Sundance Film Festival as an official selection.
- Ian Roth, Development Lead, Unscripted, YouTube Red After starting out more than 20 years ago as an intern for Robert Altman and spending several years working in the New York independent film world for luminaries like Jonathan Demme’s Clinica Estetico, Ian switched gears and dove into advertising, working on some of the world’s biggest brands from alcohol to toilet paper. After questioning his life decisions, he returned to his film roots and earned an MFA in directing from UCLA, where his short films as producer or director won multiple awards and have been screened at festivals across the country. More recently, he has focused on new forms of unscripted and documentary storytelling - no matter how serious the premise or ridiculous the construct, he focuses on finding the human story in all projects. As a Developer for Zodiak Media’s International Creativity and Innovation Unit, he created a range of global formats from a Japanese game show to social experiments for television. Over the last two years at YouTube Red, Ian has overseen the development and launch of some of the subscription service’s most successful unscripted movies and shows including feature documentaries such as Barbara Kopple's This is Everything: Gigi Gorgeous and six series, including a science series exploring human psychology and a zombie apocalypse reality show.
2:35-3:30PM Directors and Producers’ Perspectives: The ever-evolving Industry
Directors and Producers discuss the evolving advertising and entertainment landscape, including creative, production and business issues. Perspectives on agency in-house production, the integrated production model with production and post under one roof, commercial production houses extending their reach into TV and features, feature producers scouting commercialmaking talent for features, career development for all directors, and diversification into VR and AR, among other topics.
- Nathy Aviram, chief production officer of McCann New York, discusses how his role, responsibilities and production department have evolved, as well as in-house production.
- Wendy Lambert, president/creative director/director at MediaVision, shares a company blueprint for growth which includes the emergence of varied content creation opportunities through a new public broadcasting connection.
- Peter Lang, owner/director, PICROW, will talk about how his commercialmaking company has diversified, including its integrated business model with production and post under one roof, and becoming the go-to production studio for Amazon spanning such series as Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Goliath, Patriot and I Love Dick.”
- Tim Perell, president of Process, a production company bringing the vision of independent filmmakers to life in feature films and branded content. Perell has produced assorted features including John Cameron Mitchell's Cannes sensation Shortbus and Last Chance Harvey starring Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. In the branded fare arena, Perell has curated a series of five films for adidas and ESPN (directed by Bob Pulcini, Shari Berman and Marah Strauch), a short film for Audi starring Claire Danes and a piece for The New Yorker Presents starring Paul Giamatti.
- Ryan Hunter Phillips, creative director of Madison + Vine, has written and directed content for such brands as Gatorade, Intel and Trip Advisor. Phillips will discuss the Madison + Vine business model which includes affording opportunities for up-and-coming directorial talent, working directly with clients as well as collaborating on select projects with ad agencies, all the while helping to bridge the worlds of advertising and entertainment.
3:35-4:05PM Legal Aid: Need-To-Know Info For Directors, Production Cos & Their Collaborators in Commercials, Entertainment
Leading attorneys from Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz (FKKS) will discuss contracts, career development, moving into film, branded content, what directors are responsible for and other issues relevant to their careers. They’ll also provide insights for commercial directors on moving into film & TV and vice versa.
- Jeffrey A. Greenbaum, managing partner of FKKS since 2010 and one of the country’s leading advertising lawyers has extensive experience representing advertisers, ad agencies, and media companies on advertising, marketing, branded entertainment, and intellectual property matters. Greenbaum advises clients on rights clearance, agency/client contracts, production contracts, e-commerce, consumer privacy, union issues, network clearance, and global advertising clearance. He also regularly represents advertisers in connection with advertising litigation, including federal, state, and local regulatory investigations, as well as before the National Advertising Division and other self-regulatory organizations. (If you've attended past Forum's you know what an entertaining speaker Jeff is - come armed with your legal questions)
- Victoria S. Cook is a partner at FKKS and a member of the Entertainment Group. She focuses on motion picture & television work, representing award-winning filmmakers, writers, directors, actors, TV producers, film financiers, and TV networks. She is immersed in both the independent and Hollywood worlds, and her clients often work in all aspects of the entertainment business--from major studio films to cutting-edge political documentaries. She is a regular mentor at the Sundance Institute Creative Producing Conference &the Sundance Institute Catalyst Conference for film investors. She has moderated the State of the Union panel at the Sundance Summit for the last several years.
4:10-5:00 PM In the Director's Chair with Derek Cianfrance
- Derek Cianfrance of RadicalMedia whose filmmaking prowess spans features and commercials, joins SHOOT editor, Bob Goldrich, on stage for a one-on-one interview. Our annual “In the Director's Chair” session is always one of our most popular as the director shares insights into his/her background, industry relationships, past and upcoming projects, thoughts about the industry and tips for up-and-coming directors. Cianfrance recently won the DGA Award for Commercials on the strength of work for Powerade, Nike Golf and Squarespace. His writer/director’s feature filmography includes Blue Valentine, in which he directed Michelle Williams’ Best Actress Oscar-nominated performance; The Place Beyond The Pines starring Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper and Mahershala Ali; and The Light Between Oceans starring Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander. With such a great body of work, including commercials and feature films, to discuss we are thrilled to have Derek joining us this year for a lively conversation.
5:30-5:50PM Attendees return for SHOOT New Directors Showcase - please arrive on time as we must start on schedule.
5:50PM DGA & SHOOT Welcome
6:00– 7:00PM SHOOT 15th Annual New Directors Showcase Reel Screening
See the work that earned the 32 directors/directing teams in the Showcase their slot as a finalist. While we don't discuss the affiliations of the directors or talk about their work prior to the event, you can find out their names - Click Here to see who they are!
7:00 – 8:00PM Panel: Meet the SHOOT 2017 New Directors
Several of the new directors share insights into their work and future goals. An Ad Agency and Production Company exec join the discussion to add their perspectives on working with new directors.
In addition to the new directors on the panel we'll hear from:
- James Shani, founder & CEO, Madison + Vine, a next-gen studio producing branded, original & 360/VR content for brands including Gatorade, Samsung, Taco Bell and Land Rover. With an instinct for talent and a knack for bringing people together, Shani designed Madison + Vine as a nexus for emerging filmmakers. While an undergrad at USC, he produced his first music video for Nick Cannon. James' rapid growth as a producer led to a joint venture with legendary music executive and investor, Troy Carter, when Shani was still a senior in college. Working with artists like John Legend, John Mayer and Meghan Trainor, James honed his creative style and developed innovative ideas about content production. Currently, Shani is a guest lecturer at USC and an angel investor in startups at the intersection of tech, media, and entertainment. He was recently named to the 2017 Forbes 30 under 30 list for his achievements in Marketing & Advertising.
- Madison Wharton, Chief Production Officer, DDB New York, who was named to the position in 2015. In her year-plus time there, she has already made huge strides in reorganizing the agency structurally and physically, and introduced a new workflow and production model that leverages the agency's modern capabilities. Before joining DDB New York, Wharton was head of production for The Barbarian Group where under her leadership the agency won its first Cannes Lion Innovation Grand Prix for Cinder. She also spearheaded new agency offerings including Lot 112, the agency's in-house real-time content studio. Earlier she had successful stints at Momentum and CP+B.
8:00 – 9:30PM The After-party
Head downstairs for food, drink and great conversation; join us to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the SHOOT New Director Showcase with industry friends, talk to potential collaborators and clients and meet the event panelists, speakers, sponsors and directors in the NDS Showcase.
Click Here to Register for a ticket to the SHOOT Directors/Producers Forum & New Directors Showcase Event
SHOOT Announces And Thanks our 2017 Sponsors - we could not do it without you!
Click Here for brief information on each Sponsor and click their names below to visit their web sites.
Since we do not charge commercial and entertainment production/post executives and artisans to attend, SHOOT with the invaluable help of our sponsors completely covers the cost of producing the event. It is especially gratifying to have such a great group of returning and first-time sponsors this year. We thank them all very much! Company 3 will again be hosting a special by "Invitation Only" Breakfast and Color Correction Workshop for the directors in this year's SHOOT New Directors Showcase at their facility on the morning of May 25th before the Forum - SHOOT, along with all the new directors who have experienced that wonderful session in the past greatly appreciate it.
PLEASE NOTE: We are limited to 436 seats in the Theater and the event is filling up fast. We will do our best to accommodate all registration requests, but we may not be able to accommodate everyone. We would greatly appreciate it if you DO NOT fill out the registration form until you are certain that you will be able to attend and if you register, and then find that you are unable to attend, please let us know so that we are able to include someone on the waiting list.
- The Directors/Producers Forum afternoon program
- The New Directors Showcase evening NDS Screening & panel
- After-party (includes food & cocktails)
- PDF directory of attendees for future business networking emailed a within a couple of weeks after the event. (PDF directories will only be emailed to those who actually attend the event; if you register and don't attend, you will not receive the directory. )
Att: SHOOTonline Members
Any SHOOTonline PLUS members registering for this event are guaranteed a ticketed seat and all PLUS Members will receive the PDF Attendee Directory whether or not they attend. Purchase SHOOTonline PLUS Memberships Here. Guaranteed Seating is also available to: Selected Directors in the 2017 New Directors Showcase + one guest, Event Speakers/Panelists, Sponsors & Sponsor Guests.
Those who qualify for guaranteed seating must still register here as we only keep one Master list.
About The New Directors Search / Showcase Reel...
Each year SHOOT conducts a worldwide search to discover the best up-and-coming directors who, based on their initial work, show promise to soon make major positive contributions to advertising and/or entertainment in its traditional and emerging forms. This year's search was conducted from January 15-March 31, 2017. Criteria for entry is directing any type of advertising or entertainment content professionally less than 3 years.
Categories of entry:
1. Traditional Broadcast: TV Spots, spec work, cinema ads, branded content, music videos, trailers, broadcast promos
2. Alternative media content: webisodes, spots created for online, mobile phone content, in-game advertising, advergaming, virals, alternative reality gaming, ads created for PDAs
3. Film/TV Entertainment: Feature films, independent films, short films, TV programs.
About SHOOT Magazine / SHOOTonline
SHOOT® Magazine and SHOOTonline are the leading publication and website for commercial and entertainment production & postproduction; edited for agency, cable/TV/Online/Mobile networks and movie & studio creative and production executives, executives at commercial and entertainment production/post companies, brand marketer production executives, independent filmmakers and artisans including directors, cinematographers, editors, colorists, vfx supervisors/artists/animators, composers, sound designers & mixers. Through its "News" and "ScreenWork" sections, "Columns" and in-depth "Features", SHOOT publishes timely news, relevant information and a behind-the-scenes look at the best new work and profiles/interviews with industry news makers. In addition, SHOOT reports on the latest cinematography, post & editing technology and equipment. If the work involves advertising and entertainment motion picture content that consumers view on a screen---a TV screen, Cinema screen, Computer screen, Mobile screen or Game screen, SHOOT is searching out who's doing the most innovative work and what's coming next. For further information please visit www.SHOOTonline.com®. Follow SHOOT on Twitter.
Information from this SHOOT Publicity Wire release may be redistributed in part or in whole by members of the media, bloggers, and cinema, TV, entertainment, film, commercial, online video production and post,celebrity fan sites.
© 1990 - 2017 DCA Business Media LLC. All rights reserved. SHOOT and SHOOTonline are registered trademarks of DCA Business Media LLC. All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.