- Thursday, Sep. 29, 2016
- NEW YORK
REI’S already lauded “#OptOutside”--which turned Black Friday into an opportunity for great outdoor recreational pursuits, with REI offices closed that normally bustling business day--won a pair of Grand Clios during last night’s (9/28) Clio Awards ceremony at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. “#OptOutside” topped the Engagement/Experiential category with a Grand win for agency Venables Bell & Partners. The Grand Award for Public Relations went to Edelman for “#OptOutside.”
Also copping a pair of Grands was agency INGO for the Swedish Tourist Association’s “The Swedish Number,” topping the Direct and Innovation categories.
Here’s a rundown of 2016 Grand Award winners:
- Branded Content: FRED & FARID, Remy Cointreau/Louis XIII, “#Notcomingsoon” (France)
- Branded Entertainment: Leo Burnett Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago, “Van Gogh BnB” (U.S.)
- Digital/Mobile: McCann New York, Lockheed Martin, “The Field Trip to Mars” (U.S.)
- Direct: INGO, Swedish Tourist Association, “The Swedish Number” (Sweden)
- Engagement/Experiential: Venables Bell & Partners, REI, “#OptOutside” (U.S.)
- Film: Biscuit Filmworks & Wieden + Kennedy, Old Spice, “Smell Legendary” (U.S.)
- Innovation: INGO, Swedish Tourist Association, “The Swedish Number” (Sweden)
- Out of Home: Colenso BBDO/Proximity New Zealand, DB Breweries, “Brewtroleum” (New Zealand)
- Print: AlmapBBDO, Getty Images, “Endless Possibilities” (Brazil)
- Product Design: fuseproject and Herman Miller, “Public Office Landscape” (U.S.)
- Public Relations: Edelman, REI, “#OptOutside” (U.S.)
Clio Fashion & Beauty
- Beauty: Mass: Public Relations: Edelman, Dove, “Choose Beautiful” (U.S.)
- Fashion: Prestige: Integrated Campaign: Laird+Partners, Tom Ford, “Digital Fashion Presentation” (U.S.)
- Clio Music – Use of Music: The Recording Academy, 58th Annual GRAMMY Awards, “Compton” (U.S.)
Best Of The Year
Clio’s “Of The Year” honors were presented to those that collected the most statue points across all media for 2016.
Based on those tabulations, Leo Burnett Chicago was named Agency of the Year, FRED & FARID earned Independent Agency of the Year distinction, BBDO was named Network of the Year, and Microsoft garnered the mantle of Advertiser of the Year.
Linda Kaplan Thaler, former chairman of Publicis Kaplan Thaler, now Publicis New York, received the Clio Lifetime Achievement Award from her former business partner Robin Koval, CEO of Truth Initiative. Graydon Carter, editor, Vanity Fair, was on hand to present Mario Testino, legendary photographer, with the Clio Fashion & Beauty Lifetime Achievement Award. An Honorary Clio Award was presented to Baz Luhrmann, director, and Hugh Evans, CEO Global Citizen, received an Honorary Clio Music Award from Chris Anderson, curator, TED.
All Grand, Gold, Silver and Bronze winners across Clio, Clio Fashion & Beauty and Clio Music are available on the new Clio digital platform here.